Documentation Kit is a poster kit with tactile and digital components that help young learners document and develop skills of success for the future.

Timeline
Ongoing - 3 months of current work
Discipline
Learning Sciences
Design System
Printing and Production
For
Quaker Valley High School
National Science Foundation Fund
With
PI: Marti Louw and Daragh Bryne
Miranda Luong

This documentation kit was developed alongside educators from Quaker Valley High School through their self-directed learning curriculum. As one of the two designers on the team, I helped with quickly prototyping the various components of the kit, developed the design and visual system, and also prepped the various components to be printed and produced.

In the end, 100 poster kits were assembled and shipped to the students at Quaker Valley High School, and currently, there is an interactive timeline interface that is being developed to assist with the digital components that are a part of this kit.

Click to Jump to Project Section

01. Poster Kit Overview
02. How It Works
03. Problem Context
04. Process
05. Assembly
06. Next Steps

The Poster Kit Overview
The Quaker Valley (QV) high school poster kit was created to help young students document their process during a project in order to review their successes and stay motivated throughout their self-directed learning experience. These are all the components that come with the kit.

Students document/log their evidence by adding evidence stickers to the front of the micro-credential cards, which are based on QV set of skills in the curriculum. The arrangement of the cards allow students to create unique layouts and is also reflective of their individual experiences and skills. Below is an example of one layout that is created after all the poster components are arranged.

How It Works
In the poster kit, the various components allow for both a mix of tactile and digital uses. With how it is designed, there is a level of personalization with how it can be used and students can also quickly upload the evidence into the online database and also additionally logging it onto the physical poster.

Problem Context
Quaker Valley High School, located in Pittsburgh, has a Self-Directed Learning (SDL) curriculum that is project-based with the intentions of helping students foster skills development in areas of their personal interests through direct experiences outside a traditional academic setting. At the end of the semester, each student presents their project and skill development in a school-wide press conference.

In the past for the SDL curriculum, students have had difficulties maintaining an inventory of evidence, which were used to provide their skill development at the end of the semester press conference. In the curriculum, there were also many different components and resources, but they were all scattered in various locations, making it hard to organize, especially in the context of remote learning.

From the pain points that we were hearing from the teachers and students, this is how we decided to frame the problem space.

How Might We offer students a concrete way to see their progress, remember their successes, and therefore stay motivated?

Process
In Quaker Valley's original documents, they had arranged the micro-credentials with hexagonal shapes so that the arrangement together can ultimately form a greater whole. This was something we wanted to somehow keep in the design of the poster. In the end, we decided to focus on tessellations as inspiration for building the poster's design system. We wanted to continue with a design that would suggest an interconnection between all the skills of an individual student.

Here are some of our poster iterations with various explorations in color palette, card shape, and layout. Our focus was to provide something that would be visually interesting for the students while also giving them the flexibility to visually customize the poster to their own preferences.

Assembly
Since the curriculum had over 60 participating students, this required us to send our posters to be produced at a higher scale. In the end, we created an assembly line to print, assemble, and package all the various kit components into 100 envelopes.

Next Steps
Currently, these kits are being used in a research study with a few students in the Self-Directed Learning curriculum. We have a protocol set up that will allow us to observe and analyze how the students are interacting and engaging with the various components of the kit, and ultimately if it is helping aid the learning and skill-building process in the long run.

As for additional next steps, we are focusing on getting feedback for improving the kit in future iterations as well as soon implementing a digital timeline feature that will allow students to view their evidence building without having to rely on using a Google Drive hub.

Thank you for reading! 🌀🌀🌀

Click me to jump back to the top ↑